[Histonet] Safety glasses required for embedding

Stacy McLaughlin Stacy_McLaughlin <@t> cooley-dickinson.org
Fri May 6 14:11:45 CDT 2011

"Flying particles" can happen during embedding.  I have seen molten
paraffin splash someone in the eye from opening of the cassette lids.
The paraffin then solidified when it hit the eye ball and the eyewash
did not wash it out.  They had to have it physically removed.

This seems to be up for interpretation by the regs.

Stacy McLaughlin, HT(ASCP)
Lead Histology Technician/Laboratory Safety
Cooley Dickinson Hospital
30 Locust Street
Northampton, MA 01060
(413)582-2019
Stacy_McLaughlin <@t> Cooley-Dickinson.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee &
Peggy Wenk
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 1:49 PM
To: cindy.deriso <@t> yale.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Safety glasses required for embedding

OSHA standard for Eye and Face Protection 29CFR1910.133 says that
appropriate eye or face protection is required whenever there is a
possibility of injury from:
- flying particles (includes dust (for histotechs, thinks dry dye
powders))
- molten metal
- liquid chemicals
- acid or caustic liquids
- chemical gases or vapors
- potentially injurious light radiation (e.g.., UV) (need UV lenses)
- processes that produce aerosols of infectious agents

OSHA standard for Personal Protective Equipment 29CFR1910.132 says that
employers must provide and ensure employees wear PPE whenever there is
exposure to hazards that can cause injury, that are:
- physical
- chemical
- biological

This could be through inhalation, absorption or physical contact. PPE
include for face/head/eyes, extremities, respirators, as needed, in good

condition and fit. So safety glasses fall under this standard, also.

So unless you have flying particles of tissue hitting your eyes during
embedding, or fine mist of infectious aerosols coming off the tissues
while
embedding, I would say that OSHA does not require safety glasses during
embedding.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073