[Histonet] Use of EDTA to soften tissue (non - calcified)

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu May 5 08:53:49 CDT 2011

EDTA is a chelating agent whose action is to remove calcium ions from the tissue. Since GI biopsies do not contain calcium this procedure can be considered part of some "Vudu" practices (or "snake oil" medicament).
René J.

From: Victoria Baker <bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com>
To: Histo Net list server <HistoNet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Use of EDTA to soften tissue (non - calcified)

Good morning,

I'm a little stumped here - no it's not a first I know.

I've come across a lab that uses EDTA powder in their ice baths to soften GI
biopsies - I've never heard of this before. I've used it for bone or
calcifications when nothing else was available for a surface decal and
didn't like how it would sometimes affect staining.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Vikki