[Histonet] No patient ID: Ink dissolved from Cassettes duringprocessing.

kiran_g <@t> sbcglobal.net kiran_g <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 09:46:13 CDT 2011

Thank you all for excellent input and sharing your experience. Hope this doesn't happen again!
- Kiranjit

From: "Margaret Blount" <mab70 <@t> medschl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 08:52:59
To: Kiranjit Grewal<kiran_g <@t> sbcglobal.net>; <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] No patient ID: Ink dissolved from Cassettes duringprocessing.

Pencil does not dissolve in processing reagents and is safe. I have also found the marker pens from Surgipath to be the best of those I have tried, but with the proviso that the labels should be left to dry for a couple of hours before being immersed in ethanol. I routinely use one of these pens for labelling my slides. The old fashioned way was to put a labelled slip of card or paper into the cassette with the tissue. I don't know how this would fit in with US regulations...
Margaret