[Histonet] Acriflavine staining of alginate for mucopolysaccharides

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:09:17 CDT 2011

Greetings Sujata:

On 3/31/2011 1:39 PM, Sujata Sovani wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to histology.
> I came across the protocol below for staining GAGs (I plan to use that for alginate) in an online book 'Theory and practice of histological techniques', By John D. Bancroft, Marilyn Gamble.
A good book.
> The protocol is by Hollander dated 1963.
A very old, but not necessarily bad, method. Why do you want to use this
particular method? There are simpler ways to do this.
Alcohol fixation might retain GAGs better ... how about staining with 1%
Alcian Blue in 3% acetic acid?

> Would like to know if anyone has used this protocol before? Any tips/specific details might be helpful.
> The 20% HCl - does it mean 20% of 37.3% concentrated hydrochloric acid?
Yes.
> Any details about acriflavine to be used would be helpful.
Can't help you there.
I'll bet DMAB is very toxic.

Geoff

--