[Histonet] to microwave or not to microwave

Phyllis Thaxton dchihc <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 15:18:17 CDT 2011

Hi Karla,

We chose the Sakura XPress microwave processor. We have had it now for over two
years. We eliminated an entire night shift (everyone works day shift now), we
drastically reduced xylene usage (we only use it on the H&E stainer, we use none
for processing anymore). The processing system takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes
to process. I can run breast tissue and GI biopsies on the same run. It is still
truly amazing to me sometimes.
  We have cassettes coming off every 40 minutes to an hour now. The techs
rotate so that we still have time to do special stains, IHC, frozens...etc. It
has been a life saver for us.

 Phyllis Thaxton HT(ASCP)QIHC
DCH Regional Medical Center
Tuscaloosa, AL