[Histonet] Re: Grossing Station Recommendation

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:43:50 CDT 2011

I can't recommend any specific brand - it's rare to see a grossing
station in the small pathology services I work in - but if I were
buying one I'd want:

1. First and foremost, adequate ventilation - a louvered vent at hand
level that pulls the formaldehyde fumes away from your hands as you
work. No overhead kitchen hoods.

2. I think the words "ergonomic" and "pathologist' aren't supposed to
be used in the same sentence, but it's awfully nice to have the table
rack up and down for pathologists of varying heights. If that isn't
possible, at least some sort of elevated table.

3. Most grossing stations are inadequately lighted, at least for my
elderly eyes.

4. I don't like to gross with water running over the table and
spraying potentially infectious aerosols up into my face.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN