[Histonet] Re: Processing animal fat

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 07:21:43 CDT 2011

Peggy Sherwood has been set the daunting task of cutting sections of
pig skin with abundant underlying subcutaneous fat.

I confess my only experience with such material is in the form of
chicharrones (fried pork rinds), but one of the worst of surgical
specimens is similar - skin with underlying fat, in large specimens
from melanoma resections.

I can only advise fixing in neutral buffered formalin until the fixed
tissue is hard enough to gross into very thin sections (no thicker
than a nickel), followed by further overnight fixation in the same
fixative.

I'll let the histotechnologists take it from there!

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN