[Histonet] re: triple immunofluorescence for apoptosis (blue fluorophore?)

Andrea Marion amario3 <@t> uic.edu
Thu Mar 17 16:14:04 CDT 2011

Hi Britt,

There are many many fluorophores you could choose from, including quite a
few that do not overlap with GFP or rhodamine. Here is a partial list:
http://flowcyt.salk.edu/fluo.html

To set up your staining, you will want to first identify a primary
antibody that labels the apoptotic cells you are interested in. Many
people use cleaved-caspase-3 as a marker of apoptosis. I don't know if
this would work in your situation or not. Don't pick a goat primary, since
your ChAT antibody is from goat. Based on what species your primary
antibody was generated from, you will then want to find a secondary
antibody against the primary species that is conjugated to a fluorophore
whose excitation and emission spectra do not overlap with GFP/rhodamine.
This should be easy to find - check Jackson Immunoresearch for the Dylight
series or Invitrogen for Alexafluors.

Your choice of fluorophore is limited mostly by what filters your
microscope has. You need to check that the filter specifications match the
emission spectra of the fluorophore you want to use. I bet you probably
have a DAPI filter; if so, you could probably use a Pacific Blue
conjugate.

Andrea Marion
Graduate Student
University of Illinois at Chicago