[Histonet] Processing animal fat

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Mar 17 15:47:14 CDT 2011

The laser treatment should not be an issue, we do that type of work all
of the time.  I would trim to about 2-3 mm.  I did notice that you only
have 2 changes of citrisolv a xylene substitute I have not worked with
that one in particular but if I do work with a xylene substitute we use
three changes and we also have 3 to 4 changes of paraffin depending upon
sample size.  For dermis and skin we have a tendency to process longer
but have never experienced any over processing or "cooked" samples.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308
office (303) 682-3949
fax (303) 682-9060
www.premierlab.com

Ship to Address:
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, Colorado 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sherwood, Margaret
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:29 PM
To: Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth); HISTONET
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Processing animal fat

Every station is 1 hour, and our processing program is similar to yours:
we run
the progam overnight, so specimens sit in formalin for a delayed start.
Then
50%, 70% for 30 min. ea.  Then 2x95%, 3x100%, 2xCitriSolv all for 1
hour.  We
end in one change of paraffin. Our specimens are similar in size to
yours,
except we keep the thickness below 5mm.

Any thoughts?  Most of our experimental pig skin/fat are laser treated.
Could
that be a problem?

Peggy