[Histonet] Processing animal fat

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Mar 17 15:02:32 CDT 2011

5mm is pretty thick still.  We process skin and fat and we use a longer
processing cycle.  1 to 1.5 hours per station.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308
office (303) 682-3949
fax (303) 682-9060
www.premierlab.com

Ship to Address:
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, Colorado 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sherwood, Margaret
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:57 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Processing animal fat

My question is directed specifically to veterinary histologists or
histologists
who also do a fair amount of animal processing.  We are having a
terrible time
processing pig fat.  We had problems previously, but thought we had
solved them.
This latest project (pig skin with a lot of fat attached) came out
awful.  The
fat was not adequately processed:  couldn't section it, it just
crumbled.  In
the block, it appears white and crumbly.  The funny thing is some blocks
came
out all right, but most didn't.

PLEASE help!  Let me know how you process your animal fat (sp. Pig)! Is
there a
size issue (we trim it if it is greater than 5mm)?  We have gotten help
from the
histonet before and instituted these suggestions (i.e. let sit in
formalin for
48 hours; put in cassettes in a 60 degree oven for 1-2 hours and then
cool to
room temp. Then process using a 1 hour program).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (EDR 214)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)
617-726-6983 (lab)
617-726-1206 (fax)
msherwood <@t> partners.org

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
it is
e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you
in error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly
dispose of the e-mail.