[Histonet] band saws

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Wed Mar 9 12:17:55 CST 2011

You don't need a large powerful band saw to cut bone.  Bone is quite
soft compared to the kinds of substances, particularly metals, which
those larger band saws can handle.  I bought one for my lab over 12
years ago, the smallest, cheapest Craftsman model Sears carried, and
it's still going strong. I use it for bone work and also for trimming
methyl methacrylate blocks.  The most important thing is the type of
blade you use.  Blades designed for general cutting of wood are too
coarse (the teeth are too large) for bone work.  A plywood cutting blade
might be ok, but I find that blades designed for cutting metal are best.
The teeth are much finer (I use blades with 14 teeth per inch), and they
have the added advantage of staying sharp a lot longer than a wood
cutting blade.