[Histonet] RE: cell blocks

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Mar 8 18:42:36 CST 2011

Sarah,

It is important that the agar cell block is allowed to fix in formalin (10%NBF) before wrapping in paper, at least 2 hours. It will hold its shape better.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Sent: Wednesday, 9 March 2011 2:06 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] cell blocks

So...I am trying to make a cell block using 0.9% agar.  I have done this in the past with no problems.  It was at a different facility and I don't know if the agar is the same?  I used bacto-agar this time, but last week someone tried to do my protocol with agarose and the "boogers"
dried up and fell out of the block.  The only other difference is we have clear rite xylene substitute in this processor where the other one I used had xylene.  Tissues processed on the same cycle come out fine with the clear rite so I don't think that it the problem.  When the cell blocks come out they are as thin as the papers I wrapped them in making it almost impossible to see and to subsequently cut.  Any suggestions for making cell blocks without using the plasma/thrombin method or the insanely expensive histo-gel would be appreciated.

Second, does anyone have a suggestion on how to repair the cells that are embedded in the tissue paper thick "cell block"?

Thanks guys and gals!

Sarah Goebel, BA, HT(ASCP)

Histotechnologist

Mirna Therapeutics

2150 Woodward Street

Suite 100

Austin, Texas  78744

(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.