[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 88, Issue 10 microtome safety

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Tue Mar 8 12:53:07 CST 2011

I use anything except for a wooden pick.
The pick is hard to use.  I prefer the curved forceps and a brush, but depending on what is readily available a teasing needle or my'fingernail'will have to do.  I try not use my nail, due to the safety risk, but in a pinch it works.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
MD Anderson Cancer Center
(713) 563-3481
tnmayer <@t> mdanderson.org

"Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID)" <jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
03/08/2011 05:25 AM

"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] microtome safety

Morning all!

I need some quick responses to this question:  do you use your fingers or
an instrument of some sort to pull your paraffin ribbons off the block
when sectioning?  For those that do not use their fingers, what do you
use?  If forceps, are these the typical lab forceps or a special type?

Thanks so much!

Jeanine Bartlett, BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
1600 Clifton Road, MS/G-32