[Histonet] Controls for IPs

Bauer, Karen L. Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Tue Mar 8 09:16:50 CST 2011

Hello,

It seems we go back and forth between multi-tissue control blocks and
single tissue control blocks when it comes to immunostaining.

In the past we used single blocks and still continue to use some for the
IPs that are rarely used.  Then, switched to creating multi-tissue
blocks for ease of use.  It's so nice to cut control slides ahead of
time and just pull them out and add our patient tissue.  But... we find
that the multi-tissue blocks are using up hard to find tissue.  For
example, we have a melanoma skin in one of the MTBs for the HMB45 and
Melan A stains, but that MTB is used more for the CK7, CK20 and TTF-1
stains.  Basically, that melanoma skin is just being wasted.

I'm considering going back to the single block controls and was
wondering what other labs are doing.  What is the concensus in HistoLand
in regards to IP control blocks/tissues?

Thanks much!!

Karen

Karen L. Bauer HTL/HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology - Luther Hospital
Luther Midelfort - Mayo Health System
bauer.karen <@t> mayo.edu