[Histonet] How many tissues an histotech is suppose to cut per hour?

Mahoney,Janice A Janice.Mahoney <@t> alegent.org
Tue Mar 1 09:02:17 CST 2011

Well said Pam.  All the speed in the world means nothing if you can't produce quality slides.  The suggestion to do things the same way every time is a good one.  However, learning what works well on what tissue is very helpful too.  Like icing something that wrinkles or soaking something that shatters, etc.
It all comes from experience.
I plan to retire in 2 months but will keep my foot in the door working casual so that I don't lose my skills.
I love this profession!
Jan
Omaha

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Marcum, Pamela A
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:58 AM
To: Podawiltz, Thomas; 'Konop, Nicole'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; 'Jenny Vega'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] How many tissues an histotech is suppose to cut per hour?

I agree with Tom.  Janice is correct on her timing numbers.  However; when you are starting out it is  best to get the flow for working at your station than beating a clock.  You will gain your speed with learning accuracy which is more important for the patient at the end.  We are in patient care not NASCAR and should always remember patient first, which translates to accuracy and the best sections we can produce on every slide.  Speed will come as you do more blocks and get better.

Pam Marcum