[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Tue Jun 28 17:21:45 CDT 2011

I frankly would like to be able to not worry so much about TAT so the larger tissues can fix better!
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth)
Sent: Tue 6/28/2011 10:05 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients
Cc: HISTONET
Subject: Re: [Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

I have to jump into this discussion if only to say that I am in total agreement with Susan and others regarding quality over speed.
Over the last few years I've had many students rotate through my lab - a research core facility -  and when I'm teaching them to cut the perfect section they tell me that in the clinical labs they don't have time for perfect. It is sad that we can't all strive to be the best that we can be especially when the outcome of what we do has a huge impact on a patient's treatment in many cases. When I was "growing up" in histology I had a pathologist who impressed on me the importance of good sections. He said the job of the pathologist is hard enough without trying to read out slides that are less than optimal and this is what you get when you rush through the sectioning.
Just try to cut one slide per minute and see what your pathologist has to say about the sections.
Andi