[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth) algranth <@t> email.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 28 17:20:41 CDT 2011

I'd do it - along with Rene's paper which was published and the Canadian paper that was referenced yesterday.

Ask these people - if they would want their child's tissue bx treated in this manner?

They have no clue as to what we do - you might suggest that you put together an inservice for the lab managers on histopathology. Not hard to do using a little power point, you can take your own pictures of the steps that the tissue samples go through. Emphasize that cutting something like a fallopian tube is different than cutting cervix or bone. They might be happy that you are interested enough in providing insight into histopathology. I have something like this that I use often when speaking to service groups and high school students in my community.

If they don't want to consider all that you have to do - look for another job!

I had a problem with the OR people one time so I did a presentation for them on the importance of fixation and I took them through all the steps from patient to slide to pathologist. They were floored because they never thought it was such an involved process, and my tissues were treated much better by the OR staff.

Andi