[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Mon Jun 27 10:45:31 CDT 2011

At one place I worked we teamed like this and it was so efficient! It also helped with error reduction.

The main problem I see for Joanne is the "getting up to answer the phone, fielding questions regarding send-out cases, and other slight "cutting interruptions". No one can predict how long these interruptions would take.

Joanne, I think I would ask for uninterrupted time in the beginning to hone your cutting skills. As your confidence builds, so will your speed. And so will the time to refocus after an interruption. I rarely cut these days and when I do I am slower than slow.

Best wishes, j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 11:15
To: 'Joanne'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

The only time I have seen techs cut that fast was when there was a team - one cuts, the other picks up the section and labels the slides. These were Aussies and Kiwis I worked with overseas and that is how they work in some places. BTW, they also stand at the bench and put the microtome sideways in order to work faster (pull the ribbon off, throw it on the waterbath and go on to the next block. Otherwise, forget it, it is not possible and still keep quality and sanity intact.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA, USA