[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Sat Jun 25 17:27:05 CDT 2011

Joanne
I assume that you are not having us on as this seems a ridiculous goal to set.
I would ask to look at previous personnel records to determine where the employer managed to find a robot that did this previously and ask  your supervisor to show how he/she cuts one block per minute.
It is obvious that the time taken to carry out cutting depends to a large extent on the challenge of the tissue blocks.
It is also obvious that with such an attitude there will be less attention to quality and a greater likelihood of errors occurring.I would point out to management the potential lawsuits that might occur if a mistake is made and I suspect that they have not thought this through at all or are just trying to see how far they can go.
An alternate solution would be for you to ask for a set sum per block and see their response.
53 is no age at all kid so hang in there and if you get an unfavorable response from management point out the big job market out there and the severe lack of skilled histotechs.
My response to them would be more graphic.
Barry

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joanne [joanne0658 <@t> comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:50 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

i've only been working 2 months.  although older, i am new as a histotech (graduated in may 2010, found a job in april 2011).  seems management is setting a goal of a block per minute as far as cutting goes for me.  i have until october to attain this goal. this minute for cutting is to include facing, writing out slides, cutting, and putting tray into symphony stainer (not to mention getting up to answer the phone, fielding questions regarding send-out cases, and other slight "cutting interruptions).   this seems an extreme, possibly unattainable goal.  i'm up for a challenge  at age 53, but any advice would be SWONDERFUL!!!! :)