[Histonet] Formula R paraffin

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 11:21:35 CDT 2011

If sometimes you are experiencing compression problems it could be because your paraffin has some xylene contamination, or your blocks are not cold enough when cutting, or you are using a paraffin of lower melting point as needed for the tissue you regularly process.
Paraplast X-tra always worked fine for me. Check with them for a harder paraffin instead of changing to a different paraffin altogether.
René J.

--- On Fri, 6/24/11, Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com> wrote:

From: Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Formula R paraffin
To: "'Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 12:08 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Formula R paraffin, from Leica, good or bad?  We currently use Paraplast X-tra but occasionally have troubles with compression, and we heard Formula R is harder and less likely to compress.

Thanks!

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP), QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services