[Histonet] Frozen tissue question

Emily Sours talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 04:25:48 CDT 2011

>From the research point of view, I've heard of people not fixing tissue
before they section it. Since I work with embryonic tissue (which is mostly
water!), we always fix our tissue. It definitely is better to not fix tissue
when you want to stain with antibodies because anything you do to the sample
might affect the antigens.  However, since it's impossible to section
unfixed tissue, you have to fix it somehow.
Our lab once tried to section snap frozen unfixed chick embryo because
another lab (our Sauron, if you will) had said that's the best way to get
antibody staining.  We, however, could not get the tissue to section
properly.  How that other lab did it is beyond me.
Either way, there's never a clear yes or no with protocols, it'll always
change due to what you're sectioning.

Emily

A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted.
You should live several lives while reading it.
-William Styron