[Histonet] decal fish larvae

Debbie Faichney d.a.faichney <@t> stir.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 07:44:28 CDT 2011

Hello Tora,

We surface decal the trimmed block, for one hour, using a commercial product called Rapid Decalcifier (Cellpath, UK). I don't know what it contains, other than Hydrochloric acid, but it works a treat.  Other alternatives for fish have been Nair hair removal cream (applied to the surface for 10 mins or so) and fabric softner (dilute 1:10 in distilled water and soak for 30 min to an hour)
Hope you are successful

Debbie Faichney
Institute of Aquaculture
University of Stirling
Scotland

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tora Bardal
Sent: 15 June 2011 10:16
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] decal fish larvae

Hi

Does anyone have a suggestion for decal solution/ time for (weakly)
ossified bone in fish larvae?  Paraffin section tends to split due to
the harder tissue, nice longitudinal section are hard to get.

Tora Bardal
Overingeniør/ Senior Engineer
NTNU Senter for fiskeri og havbruk /NTNU Center of Fisheries and Aquaculture
NTNU, 7491 Trondheim

--
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,