[Histonet] formalin in OR/L&D

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 10:51:49 CDT 2011

Keeping formalin under a hood over a spill control pad is an acceptable practice, but having a larger formalin container out of a hood and dripping to a drain is totally unacceptable, more because it is an open container than because of a small dripping to the sewer.
René J.

From: Gale Limron <GaleL <@t> unionhospital.org>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 11:16 AM
Subject: [Histonet] formalin in OR/L&D

Hi,
I know this topic has been discussed time-to-time but I was just approached with questions regarding the formalin cubes that are supplied to our OR and L&D departments.
OR has a small room where 2.5 gal. cubes are kept under a hood. They set on a metal stand in a plastic tray. They would like to keep a layer of spill-absorbing material in the plastic tray to neutralize any drips or spills. Is this advisable?
L&D has 5 gal. formalin cubes that are kept beside a sink in an area with no hood. If there are any drips or leaks they are washed down the drain. Any opinions on this system of storage?
I would appreciate hearing how other places handle these types of storage issues.
Thank you,
Gale

Gale Limron CT, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Union Hospital
659 Boulevard
Dover, Ohio 44622
330-343-3311 ext 2562

This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete without copying and kindly e-mail a reply to inform us of the mistake in delivery.