[Histonet] BRDU

Andrea Marion amario3 <@t> uic.edu
Fri Jun 10 13:27:33 CDT 2011

Yes, I am also using pH 6 HIER with 10mM sodium citrate, 0.05% Tween-20. I
do 20 minutes at 95 degree C to retrieve BrdU on mouse embryo tissues. I
use Abcam ab6326. Their product sheet states that you may used heat for
antigen retrieval.

The BrdU epitope needs to be revealed by denaturing the double-stranded
DNA - and you can do that with an enzyme, acid, or heat - so if you are
already doing HIER, the acid/enzyme treatment can be unnecessary (and may
even damage the tissue/other antigens you are interested in).

Andrea Marion
Graduate Student
University of Illinois at Chicago

I used pH 6 HEIR instead of HCl/enzyme for BrdU - it works very well on
mouse and monkey intestine. Did not switch to HCl after that. But now I
prefer to use EdU instead of BrdU (Click-iT kit from Invitrogen). It is
more expensive, but much more sensitive, fast, easy to use and well
compatible with all range of antigens(for multi-color fluorescence).
Unfortunately, there are no enzymatic reaction for EdU - only
fluorescence.

Anatoli Gleiberman, PhD
Director of Histopathology
Cleveland Biolabs, Inc