[Histonet] AFB stains, shiny water artifact, in resource limited countries

alineumann <@t> aol.com alineumann <@t> aol.com
Fri Jun 10 02:40:12 CDT 2011

Hi, I am volunteering in a 300 bed Kenya hospital for a month (Kijabe), and we have a problem with numerous shiny red artifacts, some of which are the shape and size of TB (which are very distracting), apparently caused by processing with 70% alcohol.  Does anyone know a way to eliminate these while still using 70% isopropryl, which is apparently the only economically feasible processing reagent available here?  Would it help to soak the blocks in 95% before cutting (we have small amounts of 95% available).  Thanks very much in advance!  Alice

Alice Neumann MD
Western Wyoming Pathology PC
Pinnacle Pathology PC
9423 West Kentucky Place