[Histonet] Lipofuscin and counterstaining DAb IHC

szigcs <@t> bio.u-szeged.hu szigcs <@t> bio.u-szeged.hu
Thu Jun 2 01:44:13 CDT 2011

Dear Histonetters!

I have human brain samples (age 70, HUntington disease) and my goal is
to quantitate changes in the number of neurons/glia cells with nuclei
staining.
I use NeuN IHC and Höechst. My first question is:
  - Throughout the whole sample there are a lot of lipofuscin signal
fading the NeuN signal, we are not able to make any microphtograph for
cell counting.
I tried Sudan black staining and Sigma autofluorescent reagent with
the same result. Could you advise some tips and tricks to avoid this?

An alternative solution could be DAB IHC for NeuN and  counterstaining
with nucleus staining.
Second question is:
- what type of counterstain do you recommend to be able to identify
the IHC and normal nucleus staining in the same section?

Thank you in advance, best regards
Csaba