[Histonet] Cresyl violet stain on 50 um mouse brain sections

Montina Van Meter Montina.VanMeter <@t> pbrc.edu
Fri Jul 29 11:22:36 CDT 2011

Susan,

I have stained 60um fixed sections on plus slides without any problem. I
free float the sections in a multi-well plate containing PBS or TBS.
When mounting the sections onto the plus slide, I wipe away the excess
fluid after EACH section, so that the previous section will not be
exposed to the PBS again which results in unequal drying. I also place
the slide in a slanted position on the slide tray and allow them to dry
overnight.  The next morning you could also dry them in a 37 degree oven
for a few minutes to help in adherence.

I have had others in the lab mount sections at the same time as I do and
have often observed that their sections will flap on the slide during
staining. Mine, on the other hand, don't come off of the slide. I can
only surmise that this is due to many years of experience in mounting
sections and the importance of "wicking" away the excess buffer.

Good luck,

Tina