[Histonet] RE: Cresyl violet stain on 50 um mouse brain sections

Truscott, Tom ttruscot <@t> vetmed.wsu.edu
Fri Jul 29 09:21:44 CDT 2011

Hi Susan, I would suggest cutting lots thinner sections. The plus slides seem to have trouble holding on to very thick sections. Another possibility is too much glacial acetic acid in your working solution of cresyl-too much acid can loosen the bonds on the plus slides. Tom T

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Michael, Susan
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 6:12 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cresyl violet stain on 50 um mouse brain sections

I am having trouble keeping my sections on the slides when I stain with cresyl violet.  These are fixed frozen sections, 50 um, dried overnight on plus slides, overnight in 1 to 1 alcohol/chloroform, then rehydrated through 100, 95 ETOHs then to water.  Into the cresyl violet solution, then 100% to 95% ETOH.  Is it the water?  Is it the slides?  Any suggestions?

Susan