[Histonet] LR White

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:56:25 CDT 2011

Teri,

You should try using Haupt's Adhesive (www.dornandhart.com) to secure your resin sections. I have never (knocking twice on wood...LOL) lost a section during the staining of thin resin sections when using this product. In fact, I have used this solution for over 14 years and I even subject my methacrylate based resin (Acrylosin SOFT Embedding Solution @ www.dornandhart.com) to deplastification with warmed xylenes prior to staining and still do not lose a section. Also, I have found that "wrinkle free" is proportional to the softness of the resin block and the section collection, transfer and mounting method. I have attached a few images of specimens embedded with Acrylosin and stained H&E, Goldner's Trichrome, and Von Kossa - MacNeal's Tetrachrome for your consideration. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

On a related note, I am giving a teleconference sponsored by the National Society for Histotechnology (NSH) next month (August 17th) as part of their VIR Summer Teleconference Series. During this teleconference I will be talking about the use of resin for undemineralized bone histology. Definitely check this out if you have interest in working with undemineralized bone!

Resin Histology: A Practical Approach for Demonstrating Undemineralized Bone
Presented by Jack Ratliff, BioMimetic Therapeutics, Inc.

As musculoskeletal research progresses with new technological advancements in the areas of biological repair and replacement, histological evaluation continues to play a crucial role in the determination of safety and efficacy for these new treatments. While most will employ traditional and acceptable methods of decalcification and paraffin embedding for the demonstration of these critical components of evaluation, these techniques can sometimes be very challenging and/or impossible when presented with a variety of implant materials or devices. For example, to evaluate safety and efficacy of a metallic device coated with a biological therapeutic at the bone interface, one will need to forego traditional methods of decalcification and seek an undisturbed representation of the specimen by utilizing an embedding media that is both as hard as the specimen and the implant material. Additionally, it may also be important to use a media that will not distort or dissolve the coating. This seminar will address the use of resin histology techniques for the demonstration of undemineralized bone. Topics will include tissue preparation, fixation, processing, infiltration, and embedding/polymerization with acrylic resins. We will also discuss two types of microtomy as related to small and large undemineralized bone specimens and the presence or absence of implant materials.

Best Regards,

Jack

Jack L Ratliff
Senior Histologist