[Histonet] Re: locum tenens pathologist survey

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:20:52 CDT 2011

Andrew Byrnes at www.AccelPath.com asks:

>>I was wondering if anyone in histoland can tell me what your experience has been with a locums pathologist. Cost? And how was the service? My understanding is that they can cost around $2500 per day PLUS expenses.<<

Well, having been in locum tenens pathology practice for over 30
years, more than 60 pathology services - now 72 years old and still at
it.

First of all, it's "locum tenens". There is no such word as "locums".
You hire a locum tenens pathologist. The Latin literally means
"holding a place" (for someone who's not there). The plural is locos
tenentes, sounds like the crazy people who rent upstairs.

I've never been paid more than $700 a day, sometimes with mileage and
motel room paid for. I have the idea that the locum tenens agency
charges about the same amount again, so that you pay twice as much to
an agency as you'd pay me. Sort of like flat-backin'.

I would encourage anyone wanting to hire a locum tenens pathologist to
negotiate with them directly, rather than working through an agency,
understanding that management types are more comfortable working with
agencies where they can talk to their own kind of people. My
relationships with my private clients have always been much better
than when I had an agency mediating the relationship. Your pathologist
should handle this rather than delegating it, using the College of
American Pathologists Web site as a resource - though I wish the Web
site functioned a lot better than it does. I'll be happy to talk with
your pathologist (or with you!) about all of these matters.

I hope that I continue to provide exemplary service!

Flagrant self-promotion now - I'm licensed in TN NC MO GA KY.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN