[Histonet] RE: Controls with patient specimen on same slide

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Tue Jul 19 15:20:07 CDT 2011

Toni,

I've been doing this for over a decade with great success.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no better way to ensure that your IHC slide worked.  When you use a batch control slide for CD20 in position #3, that is not proof that something didn't go wrong during the process on the CD20 in position #9.

The only time that I use batch controls is when I receive precut slides for staining with no room for control tissue.

The biggest drawback is trying to fit both a known positive control section and the patient tissue on the same slide when the patient's section is very large.  Another problem is that some IHC's are very particular in wanting a FRESH control section which makes it difficult to have precut control slides (if it is only ordered occasionally).

I am a reference IHC lab & all the pathologists that I do work for like the practice.

Glen Dawson  BS, HT (ASCP) & QIHC
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rathborne, Toni
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:28 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Controls with patient specimen on same slide

Hi,
I'm interested in knowing how many of you are performing ihc with the control tissue and the patient tissue on the same slide. I have seen slides available which have designated areas for each tissue to be placed so there will not be any confusion. If you're doing it, have you encountered any problems? What benefits have you noticed since implementing this process? Are your pathologists in favor of this?  If you're not, why not?
Thanks,
Toni

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any included attachments are from Somerset Medical Center
and are intended only for the addressee.  The information contained in this
message is confidential and may contain privileged, confidential,
proprietary and/or trade secret information entitled to protection and/or
exemption from disclosure under applicable law.  Unauthorized forwarding,
printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the addressee, please
promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error
by e-mail or you may call Somerset Medical Center's computer Help Desk
at 908-685-2200, ext. 4050.

Be sure to visit Somerset Medical Center's Web site -
www.somersetmedicalcenter.com - for the most up-to-date news,
event listings, health information and more.