[Histonet] Lab Humidity Range

Marcia Funk FUNKM <@t> mercyhealth.com
Fri Jul 15 13:24:43 CDT 2011

Hello- we have major air bubbles with our Leica cover slipper this past
           week.  It been hot and humid in Iowa do other folks have problems ?
            Do you change your medium for summer ?
            Marcia

Marcia Funk
Histology Laboratory
Mercy Medical Center North Iowa
Mason City, IA, 50401
641-428-7907

>>> "White, Lisa M." <Lisa.White3 <@t> va.gov> 7/15/2011 12:25 PM >>>
Per industrial hygiene: our recycler should be operating at RH 10-15%

Any suggestions for our lab would be helpful:  we are averaging 58% to
78%.  In addition to the HVAC system (new air handler) we run 2
dehumidifiers and a portable air conditioner in our lab to maintain the
current humidity levels.  We use Formula 83 xylene sub and with quite a
lot difficulty from April to September.  At our highest you could watch
the 100% ETOH change in front of our eyes, thus going thru a lot of
reagent.  We use H2Blu in the F83 to help absorb any moisture carry over
in the stain line and change/rotate F83/100%ETOH frequently, sometimes
several times a day.

Lisa White, HT(ASCP)

Supervisory HT

James H. Quillen VAMC