[Histonet] alcohol as a fixative

Cynthia Pyse cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com
Wed Jul 13 11:08:21 CDT 2011

Most clinician I know have other staff in the procedure room. Why not have
someone other than the clinician place the specimen in the formalin. This
way you get the best possible fixation for the patient.
Cindy

Cindy Pyse, CLT, HT (ASCP)
Laboratory/Histology Supervisor
X-Cell Laboratories
e-mail cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tryka, A.
Francine
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:30 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] alcohol as a fixative

Hello all in histoland.  I have a clinician who may be sensitive to
formalin.  One of my colleagues suggests that he place his endoscopy
specimens into alcohol instead of the usual formalin to mitigate his
exposure.   Have any of you dealt with this problem?  What percent alcohol
would you suggest?  Or methanol?  Would you transfer it back into formalin
upon receipt in the lab?  Thanks, Franci Tryka

Correspondence, including e-mail and other electronic communications, to and
from employees and elected officials of the Teton County Hospital District,
dba St. John's Medical Center, may be subject to disclosure under the
Wyoming Public Records Act. This e-mail message, including any attachments,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.