[Histonet] microtome knife holder

Liette Tougas ltougas <@t> dawsoncollege.qc.ca
Tue Jul 12 18:15:53 CDT 2011

Thank you Hugh and all others who replied.

In fact what I really meant was rather a knife "clamp", I guess, as on the older microtomes, where we insert either a regular knife.

So my next question is: does anyone still have a knife "clamp" for either a 2030 Reichert Jung microtome or a Leica microtome.  I found those pictures on the web that represent what I am looking for.

Thank you again in advance,

Liette

Liette Tougas, RT, B.Sc., M.Sc.
Biomedical Laboratory Technology Department
Dawson College, Montreal, Qc
514-931-8731, ext 1519
[http://images.dotmed.com/cgi-bin/size.pl?t=2&a=3&i=779208.jpg][http://websites.labx.com/rankin/pics/3066.JPG]
________________________________
From: Hugh Luk [hlukey <@t> msn.com]
Sent: July 12, 2011 4:04 PM
To: Liette Tougas
Subject: RE: [Histonet] microtome knife holder

Liette,

The Reichert Jung 2030 came with a choice of disposable blade (see picture) or fixed blade (see link) holders.  One...never both:-(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110710454143&clk_rvr_id=247196707126

When Leica purchased Reichert, Jung and other microtome lines, they absorbed them into their new units.  Meaning, they do not sell parts or encourage repair of older units.  We have replaced all of our aging 2030's with 2255's.  And sorry, they were disposed of.

Rene is correct in his statement, sort of.  Technically, there is a blade holder that looks like a long knife for disposable blades; if you had this and the fixed blade holder, you would be fine.  I'm guessing Rene's lab used this set-up.  Everyone in Hawaii, went the other way.

Good luck with parts.  Feel free to ask histonet again.  Your best bet is to find someone who is getting rid of their unit, as the knife holder should have never worn out.

Hugh
Hawaii