[Histonet] safe handling of tissue for histology containingradionuclides

Connolly, Brett M brett_connolly <@t> merck.com
Fri Jul 8 09:17:57 CDT 2011

My lab  work with tissues containing radionuclides fairly often, but
since we are in industry and not under CAP regs I can only give you some
general info.

It depends on the specific radionuclide and thus it's half-life.

Half-lifes for common SPECT isotopes are:

I-125 	 	60 days
Tc-99m		6 hours
In-111		2.8 days
Ga-67		3.26 days

for common PET isotopes:

F-18		2 hours
C-11		20 min.
Cu-64		12.7 hours
Ga- 68		1.13 hours

Others you may encounter:

H-3 		12 years
P-32		14.3 days
P-33		25.4 days
S-35		87.44 days
C-14		5730 years

We have designated areas in the lab for working with radioactivity and
designated cryostats.
We only process tissue with short half-lives (F-18, C-11, Cu-64, Tc99m,
Ga-68) to paraffin, and before doing so we wait 10 half-lives before
processing.
We all wear personal dosimetry when handling tissues containing
radionuclides and that dosimetry is monitored monthly for our exposure.
All radioactive waste, including disposable PPE, is collected in special
waste containers for proper disposal - absolutely nothing down the sink
or in regular trash.
Labs areas are surveyed with the appropriate meters/probes depending on
the radionuclide, and wipe tests are performed and wipes counted with a
scintillation counter.

That scratches the surface - others can chime in

Best regards,
Brett

Brett M. Connolly, Ph.D.
Molecular Imaging Team Leader