[Histonet] OT: Wednesday Half-Wit

Breeden, Sara sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu
Wed Jul 6 08:28:28 CDT 2011

I used to use Sub-X in the processor.  Changing paraffin was no problem
because I'd just drain it into a Styrofoam box, allow it to set, seal it
up, mark it "waste paraffin" and put it into the regular trash.  Easy,
right?  Well - then I changed back to using xylene.  First time I
changed paraffin, I used my tried-and-true method, only to arrive at the
lab in the morning to find a partially dissolved Styrofoam box on the
counter, surrounded by a solidified pool of paraffin.  Eureka!  Xylene
dissolves Styrofoam!  It was not pretty but I think I've invented a new
space-age compound.  Fortunately, I was struck by an Inspiration - use
an empty xylene/alcohol bottle with the top cut off (so I can insert the
paraffin drain).  I don't know why I'm posting this except to show that
when confronted with an unusual circumstance, women rule!  Now, back to
work.

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

New Mexico Department of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services