[Histonet] Vasculature, Non IHC

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 10:34:24 CDT 2011

Amos:
I think that the IHC suggestions abounded because, put it simply, they are "so simple" (pardon the pun!).
Consider that all the steps are common to any IHC procedure and only the antibody changes. You will have all is necessary to complete them.
HC, on the other hand, will require a set of reagents different for each procedure, plus it will also require the ability to complete it, based on experience on each HC.
That is why, I think, people recommend IHC more; it is simpler.
René J.

--- On Sun, 7/3/11, Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Vasculature, Non IHC
To: sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Sunday, July 3, 2011, 11:10 PM

Hi Sarah,
     I think Verhoeff vanGieson would be much more effective here than a
pentachrome. It is possible for subsequent steps in the pentachrome
procedures to over differentiate the elastic or possibly just obscure it.
Furthermore the vanGieson counterstain contrasts the elastic better.
    If you are trying to get away from the whole VVG staining while
demonstrating the vasculature, you could also try a Picrosirius Red. This
will deminstrate the collagen fibers nicely. Please let me know if you need
a nice procedure for this. It can be a easy stain, but it is just as easy to
goof up if the solutions aren't prepared and maintained properly. If I think
of another I'll post it, but that is what popped into mind first.
    There are also a number of other Trichrome techniques you could try.
Possibly Gomori's, Mallory's or Lillie's might work better for this than the
commonly used Masson's.
    By the way, I too was taken aback by the total absence of traditional
histochemical suggestions. Is IHC such a crutch these days, or am I just
getting old?

Amos

Message: 4