[Histonet] VENTANA ULTRA & ER,PR,HER2

Mark Tarango marktarango <@t> gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 11:50:59 CDT 2011

I think Barbara was referring to the approval for the ER, PR and Her2
antibodies being for use with the Benchmark XT stainers and that they aren't
yet approved for use on the ULTRA stainers using newer formulated bulk
reagents.  It's funny because they both use the same detection kits and
antibodies.  The formulation for the bulk reagents is different and it is a
new instrument, so I think that's why they need another approval from the
FDA.   The antibodies were already approved for use with the Benchmark XT
stainers.

We aren't running Ventana's new Dual ISH Her2 probe kit but we will be
looking at it.  It does seem to have some perks from the lab's point of
view.  The instrument does the entire ISH procedure/stain.  No more having
to mix the reagents for the pretreatment as with Abbott's Pathvysion Kit,
repeated pipetting, 22 x 22 coverslips or rubber cement.  It's even worse if
you don't have a VP2000 pretreatment unit, then you're stuck doing FISH
pretreatment by hand with coplin jars in waterbaths.   You don't need a
fluorescent scope to see the slide with Ventana's new kit and it would be
easy for the pathologist to make sure the correct area is scored for Her2
amplification (as can be a problem with the pathologist circling the area of
interest on an H&E and the tech matching it up to another unstained serial
section with Her2 FISH).  I know a lot of labs use the Pathvysion kit "off
label" and dilute the probe and change other things from the original FDA
approved protocol.  Then again, even deparaffinzing the slide using xylene
is "off label", since it was approved using Hemo-D substitute.  I imagine it
would be harder to go "off label" with Ventana's software.   I guess you've
got to weigh the pros and cons as with everything.

Mark Tarango