[Histonet] ventilation and exposure

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Jan 28 11:44:52 CST 2011

Curt

We fill our bottles in the hood.  They are emptied into a vented
flammable cabinet that contains a 55 gallon drum.  You know you can do
your own chemical badges for both xylene and formalin.  I like to run a
couple TWA (8 hour) exposures and then I badge a lot of STEL (15
minutes) exposures on what I think are worse case scenarios or where I
think individuals have exposure for a short period of time, like
changing the tissue processor, or loading the tissue processor, changing
the stainer, manually coverslipping, grossing in tissues, etc.

If you are a small business OSHA has support services.  They will come
to your lab and perform an audit and review your safety practices (non
punitive) and give you a report where they think you can improve.  It
was helpful to us.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC