[Histonet] Bacterial contamination

Breeden, Sara sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu
Thu Jan 27 12:39:07 CST 2011

My pathologist tells me I have floating bacteria in both special stains
I did this morning (GMS and Gram); some slides have these floating
critters and some don't.   Because the only common solutions are those
for processing and deparaffinization and because these bacteria appear
to be floating above the plane of the tissue - I can't figure out where
to start looking.   My DI water is from a central source and is
routinely quality-checked, and this is a new building (Sep. 2010)  I
don't want to blame that. Knowing full well that I am probably
overlooking the obvious, I'm asking for help figuring this out.  I need
a Sputnik Moment.  Thanks!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

New Mexico Department of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services