[Histonet] Re: Storing acetic acid

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:25:21 CST 2011

Laurie Colbert (where?) asks:

> I am trying to find out how to store acetic acid. We were storing it in
> our acid cabinet with the other acids, but we were inspected by the fire
> department last week and they said that acetic acid is flammable and a
> corrosive and that it should be stored with the flammables. But my
> manager is saying that you can't store corrosives and alcohols together,
> so I'm not sure where it should actually be stored (other than in some
> cabinet all by itself)!

The Fisher Scientific MSDS - at
http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/00120.htm
advises:

Storage:  Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep from contact
with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area
away from incompatible substances. Do not store near alkaline
substances. Acetic acid should be kept above its freezing point of 62
degrees F (17 degrees C) to allow it to be handled as a liquid. It
will contract slightly on freezing. Freezing and thawing does not
affect product quality.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN