[Histonet] PVP method for frozen bone sectioning

James S. sonya.martin <@t> soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 09:39:59 CST 2011

Hi all,

After searching the internet I found a method for preparing mouse bones for frozen sectioning. I've been trying it out but have been having problems with the PVP coming out of solution (7.5% PVP-40T, 10% EDTA Na2 in 0.1M Tris.HCl pH6.95). I heated it to ~50-60oC to get it to dissolve but when its left in the fridge a ppt develops and the mouse femur that I have decalcifying in it is covered in large white blobs (however the decalcification does seem to be working ok).
Does anyone have any experience of doing frozen bone sections this way?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sonya