[Histonet] decalcifying bone marrows after processing

Matthew Lunetta MLunetta <@t> luhcares.org
Mon Jan 17 11:59:59 CST 2011

We have excellent sucess in decalcifying the bone prior to processing. We make sure the core has been in fixative for 2 hrs prior to the 20 mins in the decal solution (DeCal STAT). It is then rinced in water and placed in line for standard processing.
Matt Lunetta HT (ASCP)
Longmont United Hospital

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:16:14 -0500
From: "Richard Cartun"
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: decalcifying bone marrows after processing
To: ,,

Hi Becky:

How long is the specimen in formalin before you put it in Cal Rite decal? Thanks.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimens
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT 06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax
>>> "Garrison, Becky" 01/14/11 5:44 PM >>>
We process bone marrow biopsies the same day received. We use a combination decal/ fixative solution (Cal Rite decal) with good results. We keep in this solution a minimum of 3 hours before moving to
tissue processor where first 2 solutions are a total of 3 hours in
formalin. Although most bone marrow biopsies are received by 2:00 - 3:00pm; we've had some received as late as 4:00pm with good results.
Our clinicians place the bone marrow core in pre-filled formalin at the
point of collection, also.

The Cal Rite is a combination of formaldehyde, formic acid and methanol.

Becky Garrison
Pathology Supervisor
Shands Jacksonville
Jacksonville, FL 32209