[Histonet] Charged slides

Marvin Hanna mhanna <@t> histosearch.com
Fri Jan 7 16:42:28 CST 2011

Hi Helen,

Plus is the branding for silanized slides, so they are the same. As
far as magical, I'm not sure, but the silanization procedure
covalently bonds the amino groups in APES (3-
Aminopropyltriethoxysilane, available from Sigma) to the silicate
ions on the surface of the glass, creating a positive charge on the
slide.

Polylysine coating also puts a positive charge on the slide, but it
is just a coating, unlike the chemically reacted covalent bond of the
silanization procedure.

A positive charge on the surface of the slide allows for strong
bonding with negatively charged formalin fixed tissue.

John Kiernan wrote a paper many years back on adhesives for slides
that shows the procedure and chemical reaction in silanizing slides.
It is available here.
http://publish.uwo.ca/~jkiernan/adhesivs.htm

Kind Regards,

Marvin Hanna