[Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:27:57 CST 2011

Hi Eric,
	I used it as an additional reason in addition to cost control. The safety
reasons are irrefutable, but you can't really put a price tag on it until you
threaten to sue for a specific monitary amount or have OSHA threaten them with
a specific fine. Business offices don't speak safety. You should add the
safety concerns to an actual cost to savings ratio. If you time how long it
takes you to coverslip a specific number of slides, you can determine how many
slides you would cover in an hour. Taking the average salary per hour in your
lab you would then determine how much you are spending in tech time in the lab
per year. Comparing this to the cost of the equipment then you could determine
how long it would take to recover the cost and have the machine pay for
itself. Heartless pencil pushers just don't comprehend chemical hazards. It
has to be a price game.

Amos
the jaded

        <F93BD6329FC3AE4C8DB116B985FBC31327C3AD43 <@t> KGHMAIL.KGH.ON.CA>