[Histonet] Checks and balances for specimen accessioning

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Fri Feb 25 13:03:08 CST 2011

But you have to hope the whom ever is putting the barcode label on uses the correct patient barcode. That has been the problem that I have seen.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Mihalik
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 12:49 PM
To: 'Finley, Sue [PH]'; 'Mahoney,Janice A'; 'Nita Searcy'; 'Allison D' 'Scott'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Checks and balances for specimen accessioning

One quick clarification:  If the OR or whomever collects the specimen would put a barcoded label on the specimen container at collection time, all of this would be avoided.

That just seems to be a difficult thing for those departments to do.  I know that it's not a technical issue.  It's something more than that.

..but it can be done and in what appears to be a small percentage of facilities, is indeed done.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 952.241.7369