[Histonet] procedural safeguards when accessioning identical sources

Cynthia Pyse cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com
Fri Feb 25 09:24:09 CST 2011

Carol
We mark all our prostates with dye for ease when embedding. For prostates
that need to be accessioned in order we alternate the color of the dyes,
hematoxylin, safranin, eosin. When grossing, the color of the dye used is in
the dictation. Hope this helps.
Cindy

Cindy Pyse, CLT, HT (ASCP)
Laboratory/Histology Supervisor
X-Cell Laboratories
716-250-9235
e-mail cpyse <@t> x-celllab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Carol Bryant
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:48 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] procedural safeguards when accessioning identical
sources

Our lab has the policy of not accessioning back to back specimens of the
same source.  This helps us to ensure if there is a mix up the pathologist
can tell when reading the case.  For example if the specimen source is a
skin and they have an endocervical they would know.
We are soon to be getting a higher volume of prostates and will have to
accession them together.
What kind of procedural safeguards do you have in place when working with a
high volume of identical sources?

Carol Bryant, CT (ASCP)
Cytology/Histology Manager
Pathology Services
Lexington Clinic
Phone (859) 258-4082
Fax (859) 258-4081
cbrya <@t> lexclin.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the sole use
of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information that
is protected by the State of Kentucky and/or Federal regulations.  If you
are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, retain or disseminate
this message or any attachment. If you have received this message in error,
please call the sender immediately at (859)258-4000 and delete all copies of
this message and any attachment. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.  Neither the transmission of
this message or any attachment, nor any error in transmission or misdelivery
shall constitute waiver of any applicable legal privilege.