[Histonet] Thank you!

Cristi stephenson cls71877 <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 24 12:51:30 CST 2011

Here is a compilation of responses, I have removed names as I was not sure if it
was intentional to respond to offline:

Cristi. Irun a GI Lab and we have request as you do. I just send it to the
company they want the testing done by, and if this company is usually the same
we will get there fed-x number and let them take care of the shipping and also
they may or should have everything you need to ship to them. I would not send to
a physicians office because they could lose your block. always send to one
location and document that. any calls about insurance should be handled by the
testing company send a Ins face sheet. Good luck and hope I helped you.

Yes I do.  I have the outside physician fax me the order on his letterhead along
with the patients signature and insurance. This way the outside facility can
contact the ordering physician directly if any questions arise. Most of the
outside facilities work with the ordering physician and the patients.  This has
worked for me so far.

We frequently get requests from physicians and send them to a reference lab that
will 3rd party bill.  We have no financial responsibility and the doctor gets
what he wants.  We do order the test in our system just so that we have a way in
which to know what testing has been done and also track where the specimen was
sent so that we can retrieve it.  I personally do not think it is a good idea to
turn over the blocks to the requesting physician, this will create huge
problems!

You are able to bill the patient for the "review of archived material." I can
tell you from my experience that it is a lot of work and the hospital/lab does
not benefit from it.  As for notifying the patient, we have never gotten a call
from a patient regarding a bill.  The reference lab either accepts payment or
works with the patient to handle the bill.  One thing you need to watch out for
is Medicare patients regarding the 14 day rule.  Sometimes requests are made
soon after the biopsy (within 14 days) and if the patient has Medicare, the
reference lab will bill the hospital/lab.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you again for all your guidance and have a great day all....only one more
wake-up call :)