[Histonet] Joint Comm and patient identifiers

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Wed Feb 23 13:54:17 CST 2011

The Joint Commission web site:
http://www.jointcommission.org/accreditation/accreditation_main.aspx
click on Standards  and then click on National Patient Safety Goals.  It
is the first standard in the chapter.
Standard number:  NPSG.01.01.01

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Hitologist l Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l T: 804-765-5050 l F:
804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net

<histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
02/23/2011 02:40 PM

"'histonet'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Joint Comm and patient identifiers

Hi Histonetters!

I have a question related to the two patient identifiers that TJC
requires:
can anyone point (online) me to the actual regulation?

It was my understanding that the 2 identifiers related to the *collection*
of the specimen, meaning that the container and associated requisition had
to have 2 positive patient identifiers.  The question is, do they
*specifically* state that the 2 identifiers must be carried through to the
final surgical slide?

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who got dinged for their slides
not
having 2 patient identifiers on them.  They have the surgical number and
name of institution, but not the patient name or MRN.  My friend is just
looking for the actual statute so that he can read and follow exactly as
expected.

Also, can anyone confirm that the surgical number and a bar code would
suffice as 2 identifiers?

Thanks!

Michelle