[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 87, Issue 38 fixed cytology slides

Lecorchick, William wlecorch <@t> rwjuhh.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:40:55 CST 2011

Message: 15
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:34:26 +0100
From: IRENA SREBOTNIK KIRBIS <irena.kirbis <@t> hotmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] fixed cytology slides
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>,
        <histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Greetings to all,
so far we handled wet-fixed cytology slides as health risk free without gloves, however there is no data regarding this on the net (or at least I wasn't able to find it). I would appreciate response on safety policy in other cytology labs regarding fixed cytology slides and/or any reference on the subject.
many thanks
Irena Kirbis
Institute of Pathology
Ljubljana, Slovenia

You should handle all of your cytology slides with gloves on to prevent epithelial contamination regardless of fixation/health risk

Bill Lecorchick
Cytology Prep.Tech.
609-584-5128
Fax 609-584-6439